At the “De Hoop” flour mill there are 14 places to spend the night with your camper. Mill “de Hoop” is a mill completely restored in 2011-2013 with its origins from 1631. The mill is run entirely by volunteers only. All the money that comes in is spent on the maintenance of the mill.
From this place you can explore the surrounding polder landscape by bike or on foot or enjoy the nearby sea, beach and dunes.
Because there is no supervision on site, no reservations can be made in advance.
To access the area for the campers, call a telephone number which is stated on the information board at the entrance gate. You will then receive an access code which you can enter on the access post. The entrance gate will then open and automatically close again after entering. With the same access code you can also open the gate again if you want to go outside or if you come back from a walking or cycling tour.
After arrival, first register at the info desk with envelope. The specially pre-printed envelope is in the tray at the info desk. After filling in the information, you deposit it, including the overnight contribution, in the mailbox, which hangs on the info desk.
Lovely site in a lovely setting, enjoyable windmill tour was very interesting. Useful food store in the village & good bus link to Alkmaar. Comment site owner: unfortunately te bus link to Alkmaar doesn't exists anymore. It is replaced with a bus link to Schagen.
On the mill site there are a number of facilities especially for the campers. These are:
- Shower and toilet block (read here the information about the renovation that is now being carried out)
- Electricity (6 Ampère)
- Water tap
- Chemical toilet drain
- Waste water tank drain
- Dirt container
- Cycling routes (when the mill is open)
The cost for 1 night is € 20.00 (including VAT and tourist tax) and applies to 2 people. Each additional person costs € 5.00 extra per night. You can then use the site until 2 pm the following day.
After arrival, first register at the info desk with envelope. The specially pre-printed envelopes are in the tray at the info desk. After completing the data, you deposit it, including the overnight contribution in the letterbox, which hangs on the info desk.
All activities on and around the mill are done by volunteers. In order not to burden them too much, a number of house rules have been drawn up. These are:
- Reservation is not possible.
- There is maximum space for 14 campers. If there is no more space, you are requested to look for another place.
- Immediately after arrival fill in the deposit envelope and deposit the self-calculated contribution in the letterbox at the info desk.
- Pets are welcome, but clear up their feces.
- Deposit waste in the appropriate container.
- Due to the fire hazard of the thatched roof of the mill, no open fire is allowed.
- Do not disturb the other guests.
- Leave the pitches clean and tidy.